Volunteers Required for School Program
Our Social Inc. program is seeking volunteers to donate their time once a week or fortnight to help implement a social inclusion campaign (2-6 November) called ‘Say Hi’ in high schools throughout the Sydney metro and Newcastle areas.
If you are studying social work, education, disability, health or youth work, this could be a great opportunity for you to make a difference in your local community and gain great experience.
More than 26 high schools are taking part in this year’s ‘Say Hi’ campaign which was an idea that came from students in response to the question: ‘what could YOU do every day to make your school more inclusive?’ The concept is simple – ‘say hi’ to someone you wouldn’t ordinarily talk to at school, the ice is broken, and social inclusion is underway.
Volunteers are required to visit a high school during recess each week or fortnight during term 4 to help schools plan and implement activities that encourage social inclusion in the lead up to and during Say Hi Week. All volunteers will receive training prior to visiting a school. There may also be the opportunity to continue volunteering in the New Year.
We are seeking volunteers to support high schools in Cromer, Manly Vale, Killara, Fairvale, Leichardt, Picnic Point, Lurnea, Croydon, Gladesville, Baulkham Hills, Rosebay, Ingleburn, Revesby, Canterbury, Five Dock and Newcastle areas.
Eligibility / Availability Criteria
- Volunteers should be skilled in oral communication, well presented and have good organisation skills
- Availability during one lunch time once a week or fortnight until the end of the year is required.
- Previous experience engaging with teenagers would be well regarded, but not a must.
- People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Training and support provided.
- Applicants should possess a current driver’s license and have access to a vehicle or access to Public Transport.
For further enquiries please email Aylin Salt, Social Inc. Program Facilitator at Social Inc. or phone (02) 8878 3554.