Funding and Financial Assistance

Various government bodies and NGOs provide funding and financial assistance for people with disabilities, their families and carers. Cerebral Palsy Alliance can let you know if you are eligible to apply for funding.

Better Start Funding for Children

The Australian Government’s Better Start for Children with Disability initiative provides up to $12,000 of funding for early intervention services for children with cerebral palsy under 6 years of age.

Cerebral Palsy Alliance is an approved service provider of Better Start programs for children with cerebral palsy. For more information about the services we offer under the Better Start initiative please please visit our page on Better Start Funded Services.


Centrelink is an Australian government department that provides payments and services to support people in need. For parents who have a child with a disability, Centrelink may be able to help with the following payments or concessions:

  • Carer Allowance – a supplementary payment for parents or carers who provide daily care to an adult or dependent child who has a disability or medical condition or is frail aged
  • Carer Payment – support if you are unable to work in paid employment because you provide full-time care to someone with a severe disability, medical condition, or is frail aged
  • Carer Supplement – an annual lump-sum payment to assist carers with the costs of caring for a person with a disability or medical condition
  • Child Disability Assistance Payment – an annual payment to assist parents with the costs of caring for a child with a disability.
  • Child Care Benefit – helps with child care costs such as long, family or occasional day care, outside school hour care, vacation care, pre-school, and kindergarten
  • Family Tax Benefit – a two part payment that helps with the cost of raising children
  • Health Care Card – provides help with the cost of prescription medicine under PBS, Australian government funded medical services, and access to state, territory and local government concessions.

Equipment and technology funding

There are a number of options available for funding for equipment and technology.

EnableNSW (Aids and Equipment Program)

This scheme is run by EnableNSW, part of NSW Health. The Aids and Equipment Program helps people who have a life-long or long-term disability by providing appropriate equipment, aids and appliances. More information can be found on the EnableNSW website.

Clubs and foundations

Clubs such as Apex, Rotary, Lions, RSL Clubs, Leagues Clubs and Variety raise money and can support you to purchase equipment:

Eliza and Walter Hall Trust

John MacLean Foundation

Steve Waugh Foundation

St George Foundation

Variety Club ‘Freedom Program’

Tax Exemptions

The majority of equipment used by people with a disability is free from GST. You can also get a certificate that entitles you to tax-free modifications for your vehicle. A disability certificate is needed and this is available for a fee from Health Services Australia Ltd. For more information call the Australian Taxation Office on 13 28 61.

Private Health Insurance

If you have private health cover, it is advisable to check with your fund to see if you can claim for your equipment needs and if applicable what documentation they require in processing your claim.


In addition to the regular benefits paid by Medicare to all Australians, there are some special programs and services offered for children and teenagers with a disability.

Other assistance

Energy Rebates

The NSW government offers energy rebates to all electricity account holders who hold either a pensioner concession card or health care concession card.

StepUP Loans

StepUP Loans are personal, unsecured, low interest loans – $800 to $3000 – for individuals and families living on a low income. They are for the purchase of essential personal, household and domestic goods and services. The scheme is offered by the National Australia Bank.